Aldo Fight Potentially For December

It was made very apparent that Jose Aldo wanted to return to the octagon in 2017. According to Brazil’s Combate.com it seems that the road for an Aldo return goes through contender Ricardo Lamas who unsuccessfully challenged for the then-champ’s belt at UFC 169 in 2013. While both men have agreed to a fight in December, a specific date has not been set.

Aldo’s original plan was to fight at UFC 217, which takes place in New York City on Nov. 4. But, also according to the report, the promotion opted for the following month after Lamas asked for more time. This would entail one of two likelihoods: UFC 218, which takes place in Detroit on Dec. 2, or UFC 219, set for Dec. 30 in Las Vegas.

While Aldo won’t get to fulfill his dream of fighting at Madison Square Garden, at least as of now. The December target date is in line with his general return plans following the loss of the featherweight title to Max Holloway at UFC 212.

According to comments he made to Combate, Aldo said…

“It’s not 100 percent because we haven’t signed the contract yet… (But) it’s certain and I’m waiting for the day to fight.”

Although the first name linked Cub Swanson is not his opponent, this isn’t the first we’re hearing of this matchup either. Earlier this month, Aldo’s head coach and manager Andre Pederneiras addressed fresh rumors of the Lamas rematch with MMAjunkie.

According to Pederneiras, Lamas’ name had been brought up by the combat sports leader after Swanson’s wife gave birth to their new child. Pederneiras had yet to get a confirmation from them on Lamas’ end. Then alerted to a Tweet by a reporter who said Lamas had shut down the rumors, Pederneiras answered.

“I figured as much… Because I’m trying to follow up, and they’re not saying anything back. But Aldo wants to fight. And the last thing he heard from my mouth was that it could be Ricardo Lamas and it could be either Nov. 4 or December. So we’re waiting.”

You might also like