Anthony Joshua Set For Four Fights Between 2017-18

Heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, after his potential Wladimir Klitschko fight was scrapped, due to the retirement of Klitschko, has been ordered to defend his IBF belt against Kubrat Pulev this fall and WBA championship against Luis Ortiz.

WBA President Gilberto Mendoza spoke with World Boxing News this over the weekend, claiming that “there is a legal loophole between the special permit and the sanctioning bodies rotation system.

And in regards of trying to work this out with IBF President Daryl Peoples, Mendoza claimed

“…there is good understanding between IBF and WBA and I will discuss it with Daryl”

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn then told The Daily Mail of his plans for 2018 after confirming Joshua will face one of his mandatory challengers, possibly Pulev first, in the coming months as discussed last week here on FIGHT SPORTS.

“The date will be the same – probably October 28 or November 11, because ideally we would like AJ to fight again in February or March so he can have three fights in 2018,” said Hearn.

Pulev this year in Cardiff and Ortiz in the spring of next year could then lead Joshua to the dream fight in the heavyweight division, a massive unification with Deontay Wilder in late 2018 or early 2019.

 

You might also like