Arum: Pacquiao To Return For Crawford-Horn
While speaking to the Las Vegas Review Journal, Top Rank’s CEO Bob Arum revealed he’s trying to line up Manny Pacquiao’s return on the same card that will feature Terence Crawford challenging Jeff Horn for the WBO welterweight title.
On Wednesday, Arum told BoxingScene that April 21st at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and April 14th at New York’s Madison Square Garden are the dates being considered.
Pacquiao has been out of the ring since July of last year, when he traveled over to Brisbane, Australia and lost by unanimous decision to Horn.
If Pacquiao is joined on as part of the same event as Crawford-Horn – Arum says the event would become an ESPN Pay-Per-View card.
And if Pacquiao moves to his own date, then Crawford-Horn would be televised on regular ESPN.
While Arum is not letting out which fight would headline the event, he made it clear that Pacquiao is not an undercard fighter.
“Pacquiao don’t fight on undercards. The ESPN guys know how to market and present events and they know how this will be handled,” Arum said to ESPN.
“It won’t be an undercard. It will be something very unique and when we do it, it will be appealing to everybody involved. [Crawford-Horn] is virtually done. It’s not signed yet, but we hope it will be in the next week.”
Arum wants to sit down with Pacquiao sooner than later and his star fighter is asking for a good opponent to prove that he’s still a top fighter.
“[Pacquiao wants] a decent fight so he can demonstrate that he still has the ability to fight at the top level, and then we can do a big fight for him at the end of the year,” Arum said. “I may have to get on a plane and go to the Philippines. Maybe this weekend.”