Conor Talks Options If Khabib Pulls Out
This Saturday, Conor McGregor makes his return to the UFC after a two-year hiatus. And while he is set to face Khabib Nurmagomedov for the UFC lightweight championship, the former featherweight and lightweight champion is concerned Nurmagomedov doesn’t make it to the Octagon on October 6th.
Late last week, McGregor’s coach Owen Roddy felt that Nurmagomedov may not be able to make weight, and that concern is shared by McGregor who told the Mac Life that he’s “mapping out what I want to do next.”
“I know Pettis and Ferguson is in the co-main. Originally, about a month or two ago when that fight got announced for the co-main, I was like, ‘Man, if Khabib bottles this fight, like he has bottled many fights before…if he bottles this one I don’t think…you know…f**k those other two’. No disrespect to those other two…I don’t think I give a f**k about those other two to step in and [fight]. I think I probably would have just disappeared back into the shadows and got that man [Nurmagomedov] somewhere else outside of here.”
McGregor also sees potential fights with UFC 230 co-main eventers Dustin Poirier, Nate Diaz, as well as UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, and Georges St-Pierre are all on the table to him.
“Now that I’m here, I’m back and I’m close, if he didn’t show up. I think I would take a fight against either of those,” he said.
“I’m already mapping out what’s happening next in my head. I know Dustin and Nate [are] competing. I know the 170-pound belt has also just been defended and I know Tyron [Woodley], the current welterweight champion, is itching for that one — like they all f***ing are. I know Georges is test cutting to 155. I know everyone is around looking for it. I’m here, let’s see what happens next.”
Quotes transcribed by MMA Fighting