De La Hoya Claims GGG-Canelo Rematch Is Off
Oscar De La Hoya has announced that Canelo Alvarez will not fight Gennady Golovkin in September, and lays the blame directly at the feet of the “Stubborn” Golovkin.
In an interview with ESPN, a furious De La Hoya publicly announced that Golovkin will not budge on an even purse split, and has forced them to walk away from the table.
“He’s stubborn and wanting 50-50, and it’s not going to happen,” De La Hoya told ESPN about Golovkin. “The Canelo train has left the station.”
De La Hoya said he had Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez have begun negotiations with Eddie Hearn, who promotes Daniel Jacobs for a fight in Las Vegas on September 15th.
“So there’s a deal on the table for Daniel Jacobs to fight Sept. 15 against Canelo,” De La Hoya said.
“Eddie loves the idea. He loves the fight. Daniel Jacobs loves the fight, and we love the fight as well. So we’re just moving forward and making sure that Canelo has the toughest dance partner possible for Sept. 15.”
Hearn, who is in the midst of a similar negotiation for Anthony Joshua’s title unification fight with Deontay Wilder, is ecstatic about his fighter getting the call.
“I can tell you that we love the fight,” Hearn told ESPN.
“It’s a fight that when I signed Daniel Jacobs he told me he believes he beats Canelo every day of the week. We had a brief conversation with Golden Boy about a week ago or so [when Alvarez-Golovkin negotiations were first on the ropes], and it was hard to tell whether it was part of the plan in the negotiations with Canelo-Golovkin or if they really wanted the fight. We confirmed our interest, and today we received an official offer to fight Canelo on Sept. 15.”
Hearn said unlike Golovkin’s team, he wants to make this a quick and easy negotiation.
“It’s a first offer, and we are not looking to be difficult, but we know our value in the fight,” Hearn said. “We have a guy in Daniel Jacobs who, in my opinion, beat Gennady Golovkin, but in anybody’s opinion had a wonderful fight with Golovkin which many couldn’t split. In that respect, I see Jacobs as the perfect guy to fight Canelo.
“This is one of the reasons we signed with HBO — to get this fight. Now we’re here. I will push for every dime for my client. At the same time, we realize this is a wonderful opportunity, and we’ll do everything we can to make this fight. This is a major, major, major fight for Danny Jacobs. We know the money involved in the fight. We believe it does big pay-per-view numbers.”
De La Hoya claims that he and his team refuse to go any lower than a 60-40 split for a rematch with Golovkin, while Golovkin demanded a 50-50 split. The demand came from Alvarez failing two drug tests back in February, causing their fight to be postponed and Alvarez to be suspended.
“What people are not understanding is I am not going to come off my demands for the rematch,” De La Hoya said. “The fact that GGG is stubborn on a 50-50 split, and it’s ludicrous. It’s never going to happen. He wants 50-50, and it’s never going to happen. We had already come to terms, and they had the contracts a long time, several weeks, and now he wants 50-50?”
“We were willing to budge, but now I’m fed up with this, and I’ve decided to move on… Let’s make the best deal possible. The deal is on the table for Daniel Jacobs, and hopefully we can get it signed sooner than later so we can start promoting the fight.”
Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler was shocked that Golden Boy unceremoniously sent an offer to Jacobs.
“I spoke to Eric [Monday night], and we were still in discussions, so I think if there’s a way to find a solution, we’ll try to find it, but I didn’t speak to him [on Tuesday],” Loeffler said.
“But 50-50 is the position [Golovkin] has taken. Canelo’s taken his position. It’s our job to figure out if there’s a way to make the fight work. All I can say is that those two guys [Alvarez and Jacobs] are guys GGG already beat last year. Canelo would make more in a GGG fight than he will against Daniel Jacobs, so that goes both ways.”
Original Report: ESPN