Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor had one of the more memorable rivalries in UFC history, let alone in 2016. With such a fierce history between the two, it would be eye-catching if Diaz walked out with Floyd Mayweather, McGregor’s opponent in the anticipated Aug. 26 showdown.
Love & Hip Hop star Jason Lee, a member of Mayweather’s entourage who was present for the London portion of the Mayweather-McGregor World Tour, extended the invitation to Diaz last month in a TMZ interview. Like Diaz, Lee is a native of Stockton, California.
Diaz recently responded unsurely, though some might call it a coy response, to Lee’s invitation.
“I don’t know man, that’s what I am hearing too,” Diaz said.
Diaz, on short notice, defeated McGregor via second-round submission in a non-title welterweight bout at UFC 196 in March 2016, McGregor’s first UFC loss. With a build-up that included an infamous press conference where Diaz and McGregor exchanged water bottle throws, McGregor defeated Diaz in a rematch at UFC 202 in August 2016.
While a walk out with Mayweather may not seem like something Diaz would do, it could be used by Mayweather and his team as a mind game against McGregor, as well as a chance to build a possible trilogy bout between the two. McGregor is supposedly returning to the UFC to defend his lightweight championship sometime following this boxing match, and a trilogy bout with Diaz (this time at lightweight and with the title on the line) is a possible matchup that could be made.
The other possibilities for McGregor are title bouts against top contenders Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson.
Diaz, meanwhile, hasn’t competed in a UFC bout since the second bout with McGregor last year. The 32-year-old MMA fighter has stated he’ll return for the right opponent and right payday.
“We will see what happens in the coming months,” Diaz said. “I am sure I’ll be there sooner than later, but I am just taking the summer off and checking out on some thing.”
Original story: Bloody Elbow