Golden Boy Gives GGG 24 Hours To Accept Deal
Following both sides opening up for renewed negotiations, Golden Boy Promotions has set a deadline for Gennady Golovkin to agree to a rematch with Canelo Alvarez.
First reported by ESPN, Golden Boy president Eric Gomez claimed that Golovkin has until 12pm (PT) Wednesday, to accept their latest offer to face Canelo Alvarez on September 15th.
Earlier Tuesday it was reported that Alvarez and Golden Boy had locked in the T-Mobile Arena for the aforementioned date, and now it seems that they intend to face Golovkin.
The negotiations were stymied at Golovkin’s insistence of an even 50-50 split between the two fighters, after the two sides initially agreed to a 65-35 split for their originally scheduled May 5th fight.
Now, after Golovkin would be stripped of his IBF middlweight title last week, he’s been open to a 55-45 deal, which is a little higher than Gomez is willing to go.
Gomez told ESPN’s Dan Rafael that the final offer is a 57½-42½ split in Alvarez’s favor, and if Golovkin balks, Gomez will work a deal for Alvarez to face Daniel Jacobs on September 15th. “This is final,” Gomez said.
“We’ve been through everything. We’ve been through the hoops, the monkey bars, the slides. No more playing games. He has until noon (PT) to accept or walk away. If he walks away, good luck to him.”
Original Story: ESPN