Golovkin Secures May 5th Fight, No Opponent
The Nevada Athletic Commission has approved GGG Promotions’ request to promote a fight featuring Gennady Golovkin fight on May 5th at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Per a report from ESPN, the commission met last week just to approve Golovkin’s request following his original opponent Canelo Alvarez withdrew from the fight due to the possible extension of a suspension from the governing body.
Golovkin agreed to terms with junior middleweight prospect Jaime Munguia, but would not have been approved by the commission.
Gary “Spike” O’Sullivan, who was rumored to fight Canelo Alvarez in September, is anxious for the fight.
“My job as a professional boxer is to say yes to fights and to make sure I’m ready for them,” O’Sullivan said. “After that it goes to the people who negotiate the deals to make fights possible. I’ve said yes to fighting GGG, I’ve been training nonstop since my last fight and now I’m waiting to see if it can be agreed, just like you. I trust my team to do what’s right for me, one way or the other.”
President of Golden Boy Promotions, Eric Gomez, who acts O’Sullivan’s co-promoter, said he has been talking to Loeffler about O’Sullivan getting the fight.
“Tom called to see if he was available and we said yes,” Gomez said.
Sergiy Derevyanchenko, a manadatory challenger for Golovkin’s IBF belt is putting pressure on the governing body to order the mandatory defense.
Per Dan Rafael, the WBC, WBA and IBF agreed that if there was a unified title holder, that they would rotate the mandatory defenses. The Golovkin-Alvarez rematch would have been under the WBC’s auspices, but Lou DiBella, who promotes Derevyanchenko, believes Golovkin should not be permitted an optional defense, and with the IBF is next up, his fighter should get the shot.
“In light of (Golovkin-Alvarez II) being canceled, the WBC mandatory must be considered satisfied. Therefore, the IBF mandatory is due immediately and Mr. Golovkin should stand to lose his IBF title if his next bout is not versus Mr. Derevyanchenko,” Alex Dombroff, DiBella’s attorney, wrote to the IBF on Wednesday.
Dombroff went on to write, “As has always been discussed, Mr. Golovkin’s mandatory in the IBF would be due in the rotation system after his WBC mandatory was satisfied. At this moment, the WBC’s mandatory has been satisfied and expedited negotiations should begin for a bout immediately between Mr. Golovkin and Mr. Derevyanchenko. By immediately ordering that Mr. Golovkin satisfy his mandatory obligation by fighting Mr. Derevyanchenko, the IBF will not just be making the proper decision pursuant to its rules, but also shall ensure that its title and the boxers in its ratings are not held hostage. We have already contacted Mr. Loeffler and made clear our willingness to complete a deal in short order on reasonable terms with GGG Promotions for Mr. Golovkin’s next bout.”
Original Story: ESPN