Golovkin vs. Canelo Set for Sept. 2017
— GGG News (@GolovkinNews) May 7, 2017
It’s official — unified middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez will finally face off.
Canelo had just finished obliterating Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., sweeping the judges scorecards 120-108 while dealing out more than a significant portion of the blows in the bout. That was when Golovkin, sitting at ringside, was brought into the ring and the fight was announced for Sept. 16.
"Triple-G, you are next my friend," Alvarez said. "The fight is done. I’ve never feared anyone since I was 16, fighting as a professional. When I was born, fear was gone."
Canelo had been a key figure in the middleweight division recently, with Canelo defeating Miguel Cotto back in November 2015 for the WBC middleweight title. After that win, talks started about a big unification bout with Gennady Golovkin — who held the remaining organizations’ middleweight world titles.
There had been an agreement for the two to have interim bouts, with the fight expected to take place in late 2016. However, Canelo vacated the WBC middleweight title in May 2016, not long after defending the title against Amir Khan. The title was given to Golovkin instead, while Canelo dropped down to light middleweight. Canelo was criticized greatly for this, with many saying he was ducking Golovkin.
The prospect and hype for this fight was still always there, however. And now, it will finally happen.
"I feel very excited," Golovkin said. "Right now is a different story. In September, it will be a different style — a big drama show. I’m ready. First, congrats to Canelo and his team. Right now, I think everyone is excited for September. Canelo looked very good tonight, and 100 percent he is the biggest challenge of my career. Good luck to Canelo in September."