Hearn: Joshua Wants Wilder, We’re in Talks

According to Eddie Hearn, promoter of WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua, Joshua is only focused on finally colliding with WBC champion Deontay Wilder when Joshua returns to the ring on April 13 at Wembley Stadium.

Wilder, meanwhile, is currently preparing for a Dec. 1 title defense against former unified heavyweight champion Tyson Fury. The winner is likely to be next in line to face Joshua to give boxing its first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis.

Joshua and Fury have had negotiations gone awry in the past. Wilder had demanded a 50-50 split for the fight and has previously offered Joshua $50 million to fly to the U.S. for the fight.

Joshua and company last publicly offered Wilder $15 million to fly to the U.K., which seemed like it would be accepted, but things fell apart. Wilder and his team said Joshua and Hearn did not respond to questions and proposed small changes, while Hearn previously stated negotiations stalled because of the WBA’s demand Joshua defend his titles against Alexander Povetkin. Joshua did just that last month, scoring a seventh-round TKO of Povetkin.

And if Hearn is to be believed, negotiations are already underway, and it’s the only fight Joshua wants for his Wembley return in April.

“We’re in talks now with Deontay Wilder,” Hearn said. “Things are actually starting to progress a little bit because we can’t wait until December. This isn’t a deal that is going to happen overnight. All we’re saying to them is let’s have a meeting, let’s keep talking, because ultimately we all have a duty to make this fight.

My job is to deliver for my client and my client wants to fight Deontay Wilder. It is the only fight he wants next and my job is to make it happen. If I don’t, I have failed. I have failed the fight fans, I have failed myself and I have failed Anthony Joshua. And I don’t expect to do that.

Original Story: Boxing Scene

You might also like