Hearn Says Bellew Can Have Interim Fight

David Haye has withdrawn from the match-up scheduled for December 17 against Tony Bellew at London’s O2 Arena, but is not considering retirement and hopes to instead fight his rival on March 24th or May 5th.

What Haye described as a “freak accident” occurred last Thursday, and led to a procedure on Monday afternoon that he insists has been successful.

The injury is only the latest Haye has suffered. During his first match against Bellew in March, Haye fought on ruptured achilles during the dramatic defeat by Bellew in March.  The fight against Bellew was only the third fight, and first against a reputable opponent since returning to the ring after a near four-year absence in January 2016.

He had previously announced his retirement because of a shoulder injury he sustained in the build-up to a scheduled fight with Tyson Fury, having first been forced to postpone that after being cut during sparring.

The Fury fight had been scheduled after Haye’s withdrawal, owing to a hand injury, from an earlier match-up with Manuel Charr, and four years after a back injury led to the cancellation of a fight with Wladimir Klitschko in the summer of 2009.

Haye had returned against the little-known Mark de Mori at a career-heaviest 16st 3lbs [227-pounds], despite being widely considered a natural cruiserweight, and insisting he required the additional bulk to prevent further injuries.

Since the defeat by Bellew and Achilles injury he has split with trainer Shane McGuigan, and is now working with Ismael Salas.

According to Bellew’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, there is the possibility that his boxer will have an interim-bout – depending on how long it takes Haye to recover from his injury.

“We will look at things after the operation, look at the timescale and whether we have an interim bout ourselves or go straight into that fight,” said Hearn.

“The plan is to reschedule, pending the success and rehabilitation of David Haye’s injury.”

You might also like