Loeffler: Bad Blood Makes Canelo-GGG Fight Bigger
With their second fight scheduled for the second time, Gennady Golovkin’s promoter believes the bad blood between he and Canelo Alvarez will make this an even bigger fight than before.
The rematch, set for September 15th, was announced on Wednesday by Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, following 12 pm pt deadline set by De La Hoya.
Originally scheduled for May 5th, the fight would be put on hold after Alvarez failed a drug test for the fat burning supplement Clenbuterol. Golovkin looked to use that as a bargaining chip to gain an even 50-50 split with Alvarez, following a backdated suspension for the Mexican superstar.
Alvarez’ team would balk at the idea of an even split between the two, causing talks to stall earlier this month. De La Hoya would give Golovkin’s team 24 hours to agree to a deal of 57.5% for Alvarez and 42.5% for Golovkin. Golovkin would end up not taking the deal, allowing De La Hoya to claim the fight was “dead.”
Just over an hour later, after Golden Boy would offer a “Hail Mary” deal to Golovkin, the fight was on.
Loeffler told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday that “it’s a much bigger fight with all the controversy that has gone on and no love lost between the guys,” Loeffler said.
“In the first fight, it was a respectful promotion, but in the second fight, with the positive test and the way Gennady had to scramble to be able to fight on May 5, he is very edgy. Canelo is very edgy, so I think that’s going to get things heated up.”
Original Story: Yahoo Sports