McGregor: A Lot of Options on Table

When Floyd Mayweather addressed the media after his 10th round TKO win over Conor McGregor in their “Money Fight” Mayweather stated he would take his 50-0 record and officially call it a career.

The same cannot be said about McGregor. The UFC Lightweight Champion stated during the post-fight press conference that he has no certain plans as to what is next, and that he has various options on the table.

“I have two belts in the UFC to think about,” McGregor said. “I could go back to boxing…I’m not sure what’s next.”

There was some thought that after the payday he would receive with this boxing superfight, McGregor may never step into a ring or cage again. McGregor, however, disputed that thought and previously teased he may jump back and forth between MMA and boxing.

One person who would rather McGregor stick to his normal MMA game, of course, is UFC President Dana White. When asked about McGregor’s next steps at the conference, White said he wishes for McGregor to return to the MMA promotion. He further stated he’s not thinking about any of his other fighters jumping into the boxing ring and wants to focus on UFC for now, namely the UFC 215 pay-per-view coming up in two weeks.

“This isn’t what he does,” White said. “He’s a mixed martial artist, where he goes in and uses all of his weapons, and tonight he was only allowed to use his hands. I think he did great tonight. I don’t think there’s anything left to prove. I would rather he fight in MMA.”

McGregor, as the defending lightweight champ, has yet to make a defense of the title. An interim championship bout between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee is scheduled for UFC 216 on Oct. 7.

The two belts comment may be a reference to the UFC Featherweight Championship, a title McGregor won in December 2015 at UFC 194 before being stripped of the title in late November. Two weeks prior, McGregor won the lightweight belt at UFC 205 and becoming the first fighter in UFC history to hold two division titles simultaneously.

McGregor even teased a possible trilogy bout with rival Nate Diaz. Meanwhile, fellow lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov issued a challenge via social media to McGregor for a bout at UFC 219 on Dec. 30.


“I have many options in MMA,” McGregor said. “Right now I’m a free agent. I’ll see what’s next. I’m open.”

You might also like