Miocic Calls Ngannou ‘Just Another Dude’

UFC Heavyweight Champion Stipe Miocic is currently riding a five-fight win streak, and all five of those wins have come by KO or TKO, the four most recent bouts’ finishes all coming in the first round. Miocic will look for a milestone at UFC 220 on Jan. 20, as a win will give him the most consecutive heavyweight title defenses in UFC history.

His challenger is a man who has risen in popularity, as well as the promotion’s heavyweight rankings. Francis Ngannou has all the hype around him — even more so since his amazing knockout win over Alistair Overeem at UFC 218 last month. Ngannou has won all six of his UFC bouts. None have gone to a decision, five had KO/TKO finishes, and not one bout has gone into the third round.

But holding his own hot streak, Miocic considers Ngannou just like any other contender.

“You’re telling me Mark Hunt doesn’t hit that hard? Or Roy Nelson? Or Junior dos Santos? Come on,” Miocic said. “He hits hard and definitely if you get hit square like that [it’s bad news], but I’m definitely going to keep my head up, keep my head on a swivel, and make sure I’m doing everything right.

He’s tough, he’s big, strong, hits hard but he’s just another dude. That’s what it is.

At the UFC 220 press conference last week, Ngannou claimed that Miocic will have to “try to survive” their main event encounter in Boston in two weeks. When commenting about his appearance at the presser, Miocic channeled his inner Marshawn Lynch, stating, “I was there so I don’t get fined.”

“Let him do what he wants. He’s doing well. He’s doing something right, he’s fighting for the title,” Miocic said. “But like I said, as long as I’m here, nobody else is getting that belt. I worked way too hard to give it up. I sacrificed way too much to give it up. Unfortunately, as long as I’m here, no one’s getting that belt.”

You might also like