Spence Wants Vargas Instead Of Ugas

Errol Spence Jr has an eye on who he wants to fight next, and it certainly isn’t Yodenis Ugas.

Following his first round knockout of Carlos Ocampo, Spence claimed that he’d prefer to fight Jessie Vargas in his next fight, instead of top IBF challenger Ugas.

His dream option would be against the winner of the vacant WBC welterweight battle between Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter, but after their alleged August 25th clash, they may not fight until 2019.

“Ugas is a good fighter,” Spence said. “But like I said, I want big names. I mean, if I was looking at somebody, Jessie Vargas would be in front of Ugas. So like I said, I’m looking for big names. I’m looking for ex-world champions and guys that I can build my legacy on.

“No disrespect to Ugas – he’s a great fighter. And he’s ranked in the IBF, so I’m gonna have to fight him. But, you know, I’m looking to build my legacy and me beating Ugas is not gonna get me anywhere.”

Ugas would also have an impressive win on Saturday night, stopping Jonathan Batista in the second round, on the Ocampo-Spence undercard. He earned his #2 ranking in the IBF with a seventh round stoppage of Ray Robinson back in February.

Vargas is coming off a draw against the controversial Adrien Broner in April at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and had been looking for a rematch against Broner later this year.

 

Original Report: Boxing Scene

You might also like

GET NEWS AND HIGHLIGHTS!

Our Newsletter Covers Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Martial Arts and More!

GET NEWS AND HIGHLIGHTS!

Our Newsletter Covers Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, Martial Arts and More!