The UFC has made an official request with the Nevada Athletic Commission to co-promote the Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor boxing match Aug. 26 in Las Vegas, as the latest in a series of decisions the Athletic Commission will have to make on their meeting this Wednesday.
NAC executive director Bob Bennett told MMA Fighting that the UFC would not need a separate license to promote boxing in Nevada. The MMA organization would become an official co-promoter for the event in order to pay McGregor for the fight, Bennett said.
And while the UFC was originally just acting as a support mechanism via social and digital media for the fight, they look to be officially going all in on the fight they’ve played a hand in making.
Mayweather Promotions was previously the only promoter listed for the fight. Showtime is the broadcast distributor in the United States.
The UFC has had a major presence in the build up to two Saturdays from now, as White and the UFC public-relations staff were present at all the stops of last month’s press tour. McGregor, is quite possibly the face of Mixed Martial Arts and the UFC and has been training at the UFC Performance Institute, where he will be hosting his public workout later today (available on FIGHTSPORTS.TV).
Also on the commission’s agenda for the Aug. 16 meeting is a vote on the application for McGregor’s boxing license, as this is his first boxing match. Mayweather’s request for a license is listed, too. He is 40 years old and, per commission rule, any athlete over 38 years old must re-apply every time they book a fight.
As reported here on FIGHT SPORTS, the referees and judges for Mayweather vs. McGregor, also whether or not to allow the competitors to wear 8-ounce gloves, rather than the 10-ounce gloves the rules stipulate will be decided on Wednesday as well.
In more of a formality, the agenda also lists the Mayweather Promotions request to move MayMac to T-Mobile Arena. The event was originally licensed for MGM Grand.
Original Story MMA Fighting