WBC Postpones Wilder-Fury II Purse Bid
The WBC has once again postponed the purse bid for Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury’s rematch for the WBC world heavyweight championship.
“Things have gotten delayed a little, but as far as I know there are no issues,” Shelly Finkel, Wilder’s co-manager, told ESPN on Tuesday. “I would hope the fight is completed late this week or early next week.”
The purse bid was initially set for February 5th, but pushed back a week due to both sides looking to finalize a deal last week that has rolled into this one.
“I have been in direct communication with both parties and they have indicated that they are in goodwill negotiations, very close to reaching an agreement,” WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman told ESPN. “I will monitor this matter personally and if needed will intervene within the next week.”
The two sides seem to be finalizing financial terms that will yield Fury nearly three-times what he made for his first fight against Wilder in December 2018, which saw a controversial draw for Wilder’s world heavyweight title.
If the fight is finalized, it is likely to take place on either April 27 or May 18 in New York or Las Vegas, Finkel said, while Fury attempts to secure neutral judges.