WBC Welcomes Whyte-Ortiz TItle Eliminator
With Dillian Whyte and Luis Ortiz talking smack towards one another, WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman would welcome a final eliminator to have both men fight for a shot at the title.
Whyte began the process by claiming Ortiz wants nothing of the British boxer, but Ortiz has not only welcomed the challenge but also claim he’d fight Whyte on British soil.
“We will welcome that [Whyte-Ortiz] and do a final elimination for the second mandatory, while we address Breazeale,” Sulaiman told Sky Sports.
“I truly believe Dillian Whyte is very much deserving of the No 1 position where he is ranked. Dominic Breazeale is a mandatory contender for specific circumstances, which happened last year, and that’s the bottom line.”
Whyte and his promoter Eddie Hearn appealed to the WBC on their ruling of Breazeale as the mandatory champion, especially due to the current contender’s most recent fight coming almost a year ago against Eric Molina.
“He is challenging the WBC ruling, which he has all the rights to do so, and we’re going to be addressing it, because it was very tight, between our meeting, his appeal letter, and the convention. We could not do the due process at that time. We’re going to address it,” Sulaiman said.
“Basically, he does not accept that the WBC recognizes Breazeale as mandatory, and he is claiming the WBC to withdraw recognition of Dominic Breazeale, and to appoint him the mandatory. We will certainly look into his appeal and address it. I would say in the following two, three weeks, however, everything is based on December 1, and then on trying to make the fight with Joshua.”
Initial Report: Sky Sports