Last week it was announced that the UFC and Conor McGregor had come to a deal for a fight between McGregor and Floyd Mayweather. Now the last step is for UFC President Dana White to come to an agreement with Mayweather and his team, which may prove to be a challenging obstacle.
White, however, seems optimistic that the fight will take place. Speaking to reporters before the Mets game on Wednesday, he said that he has yet to talk numbers with Mayweather’s camp but believes that a 50-50 split would be fair.
“We haven’t even got there yet,” White said. “We haven’t even talked percentages yet. … Floyd can think whatever, but the machine that the UFC has and Conor McGregor alone is a machine by himself. I think that 50-50 is pretty fair.”
The idea of splitting the profits evenly may not sit well with Mayweather. For his mega-fight with Manny Pacquiao, which sold over 4 million pay-per-views, Mayweather received 60 percent of the earnings.
White believes that a fight between Mayweather and McGregor could meet and even exceed the groundbreaking numbers of Mayweather-Pacquiao.
“I think this thing does, conservatively, between 2-1/2 and 4 million buys,” White said. “Other people think more. … And this thing will kill it, globally. Conor McGregor and the UFC are huge in Brazil, huge in Australia, massive in the UK and other parts of Europe.”
While White clearly still has to do some serious negotiating with Mayweather and his team, primarily Al Haymon, the UFC boss is confident that he and the other side can reach an agreement without too many disagreements.
“We’re ready to go,” White said. “And I think what we’re looking at in the deal is as fair as fair can be. You’ve gotta understand, Floyd and [Al] Haymon and that group are used to dealing with the scummiest human beings on the planet Earth. I think it’s a little refreshing working with us. And I’m not just being arrogant. They’ve said that to us. I can see it getting done.”