Following hitting the mark on the scales yesterday, Adesanya and Strickland were left with one last opportunity to size each other up earlier today ahead of their main event battle tomorrow.
Strickland kept in to his usually character and continued jawing at the champion during their face-off, however at this point it appears that Adesanya has flipped the mental switch from promotion mode to fight mode, as he just stared Strickland down with one thing on his mind.
While almost all UFC 293 competitors found success on the scales yesterday, Shane Young (13-7), a teammate of Adesanya, unfortunately missed weight by a considerable margin. Young weighed in at 149.75-pounds, 3.75-pounds past the featherweight cap, and as a result has lost 30% of his purse. His fight versus Gabriel Miranda (16-6) will still proceed, but now as a catchweight bout.
Full Ceremonial Weigh-In Show:
At 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT, the preliminary card will go live on ESPN+ and will be headlined by a light heavyweight battle between New Zealand’s Carlos Ulberg (8-1) and Da Un Jung (15-4) of South Korea.
Finally, at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT, the main card will go live on Pay-Per-View. The co-main event will showcase a powerful heavyweight matchup between the fan favorite Tai Tuivasa (15-5), and the always dangerous Alexander “Drago” Volkov (36-10). This will of course be followed by the main event between Israel Adesanya (24-2) and Sean Strickland (27-5) for the UFC’s middleweight championship.
Full Card And Weigh-In Results:
Main Card 10 p.m. ET on PPV
- Israel Adesanya (184.8) vs. Sean Strickland (184.9)
- Tai Tuivasa (265.6) vs. Alexander Volkov (262.9)
- Manel Kape (126) vs. Felipe dos Santos (125.4)
- Justin Tafa (265.2) vs. Austen Lane (242.3)
- Tyson Pedro (205.45) vs. Anton Turkalj (205.35)
Prelims 8 p.m. ET on ESPN+
- Carlos Ulberg (204.7) vs. Da Un Jung (205.3)
- Jack Jenkins (145.85) vs. Chepe Mariscal (145.85)
- Jamie Mullarkey (155.35) vs. John Makdessi (155.1)
- Nasrat Haqparast (155.85) vs. Landon Quinones (155.75)
- Mike Mathetha (170.25) vs. Charlie Radtke (170.3)
- Shane Young (149.75)* vs. Gabriel Miranda (144.95)
- Kevin Jousset (170.5) vs. Kiefer Crosbie (170.85)