All Eyes On George Kambosos Jr. As Teofimo Lopez, Triller Waits For Him To Agree To October 16 Date
The fate of October 4 lays in the hands of George Kambosos Jr.
Thursday afternoon, Teofimo Lopez took a turn when reports said he signed a contract, which allows Triller to move his championship fight versus Kambosos from Monday, October 4 at the Hulu Theater at MSG to Saturday, October 16 at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. As of Friday morning, Kambosos has not agreed to the change.
As of now, per multiple sources, Kambosos has not agreed to moved the Lopez fight.
— Dan Rafael (@DanRafael1) September 24, 2021
ESPN reported that Kambosos, who lives in Sydney, Australia, was sleeping – due to the time difference – when Lopez sent over the contract.
Linda Torres, lead counsel for the IBF, previously informed attorneys that Kambosos was not willing to fly until Triller complied. He must fly today, September 25, in order to return to Australia and compile with its quarantine requirements.
“We expect no additional postponements and the fight to take place on October 4, 2021 as per the contracts,” Linda Torres, lead counsel for the IBF informed the attorneys via official letter obtained by Boxing Scene. “Mr. Kambosos has clearly expressed that he is unwilling to fly around the world until Triller has complied with its obligations to provide a plan to get him home in a reasonable time and manner.
“Given that Mr. Kambosos is scheduled to depart Australia on September 25, the IBF agrees that Triller must fulfill its obligations to secure round-trip travel no later than September 23, 2021. Mr. Kambosos should be able to undertake his final preparations for the fight knowing that plans have been confirmed to get him home after the event,” the letter continued.
Lopez said earlier this week that he and his team will stand with the October 4 date. Triller’s Ryan Kavanaugh wants to make the move because the Oakland Raiders versus San Diego Chargers football game could conflict with the fight and affect pay-per-view sales, which he said he “just realized.”
If the event moves, Triller will forfeit a $100,000 deposit with Madision Square Garden.
Triller would also pair the fight with a Verzuz event -– a popular rap-battle series – at the Barclays Center, which wouldn’t be possible at the Hulu Theater due to space.
Triller won rights to the fight with a bid of $6.018 million back in February.
Then who knows what happens with this fight https://t.co/Wu0jgwB0m5
— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) September 23, 2021