Anthony Joshua Will Box In September

Anthony Joshua has said he will return to the ring in September. 

Joshua is coming off a second-round KO victory over Francis Ngannou last month. The Brit has rediscovered his best form since teaming up with Ben Davidson. Joshua has said he will retire from the sport in two years, leaving him with limited time to secure the biggest fights. 

He could box the winner of Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk. The two fighters face off on May 18 for the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship. However, there is a rematch clause in place, meaning any Joshua fight may have to take place after that. That is the most likely option, given Joshua’s following comments. 

The Brit stated he could fight the winner of Filip Hrgovic vs. Daniel Dubois or Deontay Wilder vs. Zhilei Zhang. A fight with Hrgovic-Dubois would be for the IBF Interim Heavyweight Title, making him mandatory for the winner of Fury-Usyk. Meanwhile, a fight with Wilder is the biggest commercially if the Bronze Bomber beats Zhang. Either way, Joshua is targeting a return very soon. 

Amp Ad

“It’s gonna be in London, Wembley Stadium. This what I’m being told. If that’s what they say, they normally back their word so let’s go with that. Wembley, September 20 or 21. You’ve got Filip Hrgovic versus Daniel Dubois and you’ve got Zhilei Zhang versus Deontay Wilder (on June 1). So providing one of those [winners] looks good – the one who looks the best, His Excellency Turki Alalshikh said to me, ‘I want you to fight him.’ He’s trying to deliver what the fans want,” Joshua said 

Reaction

Anthony JoshuaBen Davidsonboxing newsDaniel DuboisDeontay WilderFilip HrgovicFrancis NgannouOleksandr UsykTyson FuryZhilei Zhang