Following last week’s debacle that saw Canelo Alvarez stripped of his IBF middleweight title, while he was negotiating a fight with his mandatory, Alvarez may get the chance to add another world title to his resume.
“Whether Canelo and Oscar [De La Hoya] want to fight Demetrius Andrade, we’ll find out soon, but in terms of a credible opponent, he has to be No 1 right now,” Andrade’s promoter Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports.
“He’s another world champion, it’s another unification fight. Canelo has showed time and time again that he’s willing to take on the best and champion after champion. His last fight was a unification fight against Danny Jacobs and this would be as well. Nothing concrete to tell you other than from the Demetrius side, he would be ready to go.
“When you look now at the options, you have to think Demetrius is probably biggest fight out there,” Hearn said of the WBO champion. “In terms of the fights that are available or the fights that have been passed up on, so again, in that situation, it’s really down to Oscar De La Hoya and Golden Boy to decide who they want to fight. If they pick Demetrius Andrade, he would be ready to go.”
Making a fight between Alvarez and Andrade may be the easiest fight to make since both fighters are currently signed to DAZN, but a rift exists between Golden Boy and Alvarez after Alvarez blamed the promotion’s matchmaker Robert Diaz for the loss of his IBF title.
I'm very upset and ashamed with my fans, to be unfairly stripped of my belt by the IBF, but specially when i did not have the knowledge of the agreement that GBP match maker had signed.
— Canelo Alvarez (@Canelo) August 2, 2019
Quotes transcribed by Boxing Scene