Arum Expects Ruiz-Joshua 2 Winner to Fight Pulev
Kubrat Pulev has been pushing for mandatory challenger status to the IBF heavyweight world championship, and one of his promoter, Top Rank’s Bob Arum, expects him to be next in line.
At the end of July, Pulev stated that the IBF mandatory status he earned with a win over Hughie Fury last year should trump any rematch clause Anthony Joshua invokes.
The IBF, who has been notably stringent when it comes to mandatory challengers, ruled a few weeks ago, however, that Ruiz can defend the title in a rematch with Joshua — so long as the fight takes place on or before Dec. 7 and Pulev gets his title shot by the end of May 2020.
The decision to not strip Ruiz left Pulev and his team upset. Arum, however, says that he expects Pulev to get the first crack at the Ruiz-Joshua II winner.
“If Joshua was to win [against Ruiz on December 7] then yeah, he has some titles. But then he has an obligation to fight another one of my fighters who is waiting patiently is Pulev,” Arum said. “[If Andy Ruiz wins, after] they gave him special permission to do the rematch with Joshua. They said he must fight Pulev next no later than May.”
As for who he thinks will win said rematch, Arum believes lightning will strike twice for Ruiz, and it will have devastating effects for Joshua.
“If Anthony Joshua loses again to Andy Ruiz, which I expect he will, who really wants to bother with him anymore?”
Original Story: Bad Left Hook