Borg Talks Bus Attack, Eye Injury, And Frustration

Ray Borg spoke for the first time about the aftermath of Conor McGregor’s attack on a bus during UFC 223 Media day. Borg was one of the fighters who were in the bus during the attack, and was sitting next to Michael Cihesa when their window exploded from McGregor throwing a dolly through it. As a result of the incident, the former flyweight title contender would be pulled from the event due to a corneal abrasion.

Borg spoke with The MMA Hour about the incident, and also the online abuse he’s been suffering due to  the episode of UFC 223 Embedded that chronicled the incident, which shows a two-second clip of Borg reacting to what just happened.

“They didn’t see the rest of it, when I wiped my eyes and the glass went right onto my face,” Borg explained Monday on The MMA Hour.

“My eye was a little irritated, but I didn’t really think much of it, and it wasn’t until later that day that the small shards and particles of glass that were on my cornea were what really caused the irritation. I personally didn’t even want to get looked at by a doctor, but as I was trying to get on with my weight cut, my eye just started killing me and I was advised to go see a doctor and get checked out.”

As he was heading to an area hospital, Borg realized his fight at UFC 223 could actually be postponed.

“I was first checked out by the UFC doctor,” Borg said. “The doctor that they always have there, I forget his name, but I got checked out by him first. He looks in my eye and tells me it looks like I have some corneal abrasions, maybe iritis, because I was kinda sensitive to light. So as I get to the hospital, they admit me and they didn’t just look at my eye and say, ‘Oh, yeah, your eye looks a little messed up. You can’t fight.’ They ran a whole [gamut of tests]. They did it twice just to double-check to make sure. I had them do it twice.

“They said I had multiple corneal abrasions, which was causing the irritation and a little bit of the blurriness that I was seeing.

“To be honest, I thought I was going to be fine. My coach Brandon [Gibson], he had told me that he had gone through the same thing before, to where he’d had shards of glass in his eye and it just bugged him and bugged him, and then they kinda gave him some drops and some medication and he was better in a few days. Even the UFC doctor told me that it would be better within 72 hours, so I truly thought, ‘Okay, you know what, I came in, got checked out like they needed me to. Maybe they’ll just send me on my way and give me stuff that USADA will approve and I can take the next couple days until fight night and be fine.’

All hopes would be dashed for Borg, as UFC and emergency room doctors advised him to not fight on April 7th at Barclays Center.

Since the incident, UFC president Dana White stated that all five fighters who lost out on their chance to compete at UFC 223 would be paid their show purses, but Borg is still left dealing with the effects of his injury.

“There’s just some redness,” Borg said. “They gave me some good numbing drops that’s kinda helped take down the swelling. To be honest, it’s more irritating than anything. I just want to rub it the whole time. But it’s just real red. The swelling’s gone done. It’s not as sensitive to light right now, so it’s just real red and hopefully when I see an ophthalmologist, he’ll say I should be fine. They did a CT scan actually when I was at the hospital just to double-check and make sure there wasn’t any glass stuck in the back of my eye.

“They say there’s no permanent damage to anything serious in my eye, it’s just the surface, so hopefully that’s some good news.”


Original Story: MMA Fighting

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More