Both David Benavidez & Jermall Charlo Want Canelo Next

The WBC super middleweight interim champion David Benavidez feels Canelo Alvarez will have to fight him if he beats Demetrius Andrade

Benavidez takes on Andrade on November 25th, 2023, in a bout between two undefeated fighters. The winner will become the official mandatory for Canelo in what could be a mega-Mexican clash on Cinco de Mayo Weekend or Mexican Independence Day. That would leave Canelo with no option but to face his mandatory unless he was to vacate his belts. And if he did vacate, Canelo would have no other meaningful fights at 168, thus doubling down on the claims that he was ducking Benavidez. 

“There’s going to be no other direction for Canelo to go because after what I do to Demetrius Andrade on Saturday, people are going to go. That’s the only fight that they want to see… I feel that whenever that fight happens, it’s going to happen. I’m not going to go nowhere, I’m going to continue to beat all the fighters in front of me, and that fight [with Canelo] is definitely going to be made,” Benavidez said

Nevertheless, the WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo has set his sights on facing Canelo on Cinco De Mayo Weekend. Charlo had been linked with facing Alvarez, only for his brother, Jermell Charlo, to be given the fight instead. The latter moved up two weight classes from junior middleweight to take on the Mexican for his undisputed title. The fight was one-sided, with Alvarez dominating on his way to a unanimous-decision win.

In the aftermath, there were calls on Canelo to face Benavidez since the latter is his WBC mandatory and a fully-fledged super middleweight. And yet, Charlo is intent on securing the fight if he overcomes Jose Benavidez Jr. on November 25th, 2023. It will be the American’s first fight in over two years as he returns to the ring following his mental health struggles to fight at 163 pounds against a fighter who is a junior middleweight. And with his WBC belt not being on the line, the pressure may be off Charlo as he looked ahead to the future. 

“I’m down to fight Canelo too. At 168, the door is still wide open for me. I was originally going to fight Canelo. I got the offer, I got the call, but it was something that my brother had talked about. At that time, I wasn’t mentally ready or prepared to even make my transition back into boxing. So why not let my brother seize the moment, and that’s exactly what he did. I haven’t been told anything otherwise besides that. I hope we get him [Canelo] on Cinco de Mayo,” Charlo stated

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

buy ivermectin for humans ivermectin for sale