BREAKING: Dustin Poirier vs. Conor McGregor 3 Reportedly Set
It looks like Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor have a date for their trilogy fight.
ESPN is reporting that Poirier has signed on the dotted line to fight McGregor a third time. McGregor had already agreed to the fight. The bout will headline UFC 264 on July 10. A location hasn’t been announced, although fans are expected to be in attendance.
The score is 1-1 between Poirier and McGregor. In their first encounter back in September 2014, McGregor scored the first-round TKO finish. They had a rematch in January 2021, which was won by Poirier via second-round TKO.
McGregor has admitted that he is “buzzing” for a third fight with “The Diamond.” Here’s what he said in an Instagram post.
View this post on Instagram
“I enjoyed racking up some more time inside the famed UFC Octagon. 40 seconds in 3 years is all I’d had up to this bout. I was savoring every second and enjoying my work. A little single disciplined in my approach and stance with mostly boxing. It’s what I get for picking this bout and opponent as a precursor to a boxing match against Pacman. I deserved to get the legs kicked off me going in with this thinking. This is not the game to play around with. Besides this tho my shots were sharp and I was in full control. Albeit the leg attacks were building up on me throughout the course.
“18 in total thrown at me, with the final one buckling my leg fully, that was that. The peroneal nerve compromised. Fascinating! First time to experience it. Then a tremendous finishing flurry by my opponent. Hats off! A well-fought fight by The Diamond. 1 apiece now with a Trilogy bout for all the marbles! Wow! Exciting! Not a trilogy I was expecting, nor the tactical affair I was anticipating, but I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t meant to be. This is exactly how this was always meant to be! Buzzing!!”