Brian Castano Agrees With WBO To ‘Show Cause’ Of Injury
Brian Castano said he’ll comply.
The WBO junior middleweight has expressed he’s willing to be examined by an independent medical office outside of the sanctioning body, which would further confirm the validity and extent of his reported torn right bicep, which he sustained during training for his rematch against unified champion Jermell Charlo, Boxing Scene reported.
The WBO requested Castano provide “show of cause,” which would be reason Castano shouldn’t be forced into an immediate mandatory against overdue challenger Tim Tszyu.
A representative from Castano’s team requested that the rematch between Charlo and Castano be pushed back four weeks from its previously scheduled March 19 date. This was the second time it was postponed; it was originally set for February 26 but moved due to undisclosed reasons.
Charlo said he didn’t believe Castano’s injury, saying they tried “pulling” the same stunt twice.
Aside from getting a justified winner from the first fight in July – which ended in a controversial split draw — it would also crown an undisputed junior middleweight champion. Charlo holds the WBC, WBA, IBF and Ring belts while Castano dons the WBO belt.