Caleb Plant Speaks For First Time Since Losing To Canelo Alvarez
Caleb Plant has finally given a word on losing his IBF super middleweight title to Canelo Alvarez last month on November 6 in Las Vegas.
Plant expressed his disappointment and said that he wants to take some time out from the boxing ring and will be in action in the first quarter of 2022.
Plant is still recovering from the damage inflicted by the Mexican star as he still has swelling around his right eye. The 29-year-old feels that he belongs up there with the elite of this division as he stood firm against Canelo for the most course of the fight.
“I’m definitely disappointed. I came to win. I didn’t just come to hand my belt over,” Plant told Fighthype.
“And I wanted the outcome. And I knew I had a good showing, and I think I showed the world that I belong on that top level.”
Plant has had issues with his stamina, unable to apply himself in these championship rounds. And that proved to be his downfall in the fight against Alvarez, with the pound-for-pound king finishing the fight in the 11th round.
And it was not something new as Plant also had similar troubles in his fight against Jose Uzcategui in 2019.
Plant can redeem this loss by beating the likes of Charlo and Benavidez. Plant has also set his sight on a few other names in the division and is willing to take any challenge thrown at him.
“Me and Gervonta are cool and me and Jojo Diaz are cool too. It’s going to be a great fight, and may the best man win. At 168, I’m willing to make any big fight. Whether it’s Charlo, Benavidez, I’m willing to make any of them,” he said.
“This is the first holiday season in the last five years that I get to go home and see my grandparents. I’m going to go do that, and then I’ll be back at the top of next year.”