Canelo Alvarez Is Pursuing Dmitry Bivol Rematch
Alvarez lost by unanimous decision in May.
Canelo Alvarez has his plan laid out.
The undisputed super middleweight champion said on Wednesday — at an event in Mexico City for his new drink brand VMC — that he’s returning to the ring in May and will then go for a rematch against light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol in September.
“I’m going to start training in January and see how I feel after that,” Alvarez told ESPN.
“The idea is to return in May with a tuneup fight to see how I feel and then get the rematch against Bivol in September.
“That’s the only thing I want for my career right now.”
Alvarez is currently recovering from a left wrist surgery last month.
The Mexican boxing star was outboxed by Bivol this past May. He lost by unanimous decision, also resulting in a failed bid to become a champion in another division – simultaneously.
It was his first loss since 2013 to Floyd Mayweather.
Alvarez, however, got back into the winning column in September against three-time foe Gennadiy Golovkin, winning it by unanimous decision.
Boxing fans have longed to see a matchup between Alvarez and top talent David Benavidez. Benavidez was recently ordered to face Caleb Plant, who Alvarez previously defeated, and when asked if he was interested in the winner, Alvarez said:
“Let’s see how that fight goes. It’s a very competitive fight and to me, I see Benavidez winning, but my focus is on the Bivol rematch.”