Canelo: Chavez Fight is Personal
Over the years, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2-1, 32 KOs) has taken a lot of verbal shots at his countryman, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs).
Nobody ever expected the fight to take place because both boxers were growing so far apart in weight, but it was finalized a few weeks ago – as Canelo and Chavez Jr. will face each other at a catch-weight of 164.5-pounds.
Their HBO Pay-Per-View fight is scheduled to take place on May 6th from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. It will be the third boxing event ever staged at the new venue, which opened last year.
Canelo has been personally offended by some of the comments made Chavez Jr. and he intends to get some payback when they face each other.
"It’s a fight that people were asking to make. Boxing and non-boxing people will enjoy it," Canelo said to ESPN Deportes.
"It is personal and professional. It became more personal – because of so many things that he said [about me]. He offended me personally with the many things that he’s said. Thank God there is the fight on May 6 and like always I like to do my talking inside the ring and on that day I am going to talk."
"My boxing and my experience should define the fight, [those attributes] will shine in the fight. The weight is a new division for me, but I think I’m going to feel good. I’m going to feel strong, and my experience and level of boxing will come out and shine in this fight."
Canelo, who holds the WBO junior middleweight title, is moving up from 154-pounds. Chavez Jr. has fought as high as 172-pounds, but in his last contest in December he weighed a little under the super middleweight limit of 168. One of the biggest questions in the fight is whether or not Chavez Jr. will make the weight safely.