Canelo: We Made GGG Offer, He’s Being Unreasonable
Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) places the blame on Gennady Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) for the continued delay of an agreement between them to stage a fight in September of this year.
The two sides have been talking since last year, but they are far apart on the financial terms. Canelo’s side has claimed to have made a lucrative eight figure offer. The offer is a flat fee, and Golovkin is looking for a respectable percentage of the revenue.
Both boxers will be in action on pay-per-view in the first half of the year. Golovkin will make a mandatory defense of his WBC, IBF, IBO, WBA middleweight titles against Daniel Jacobs on March 18 from New York’s Madison Square Garden.
Canelo will be back on May 6th, as part of Cinco De Mayo weekend, in a clash with countryman Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. The bout will happen at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
For much of last year, the two boxers haggled over the weight limit. Golovkin wanted the fight to take place at the full middleweight limit of 160 and Canelo wanted a catch-weight of 155. Their discussions broke apart after Canelo dropped down to 154 and captured the WBO world title last September with a knockout of Liam Smith.
But the fight with Chavez Jr. takes place at a catch-weight of 164.5-pounds, and that displays that weight will no longer the problem in their discussions. To make the fight happen in the near future the two sides have to come together on the money.
"It’s what I want [to fight Golovkin]. An offer was made to Golovkin, and they asked for the horns of the moon. They said that they wouldn’t do it for that amount, [but it’s more than they’ve ever made]. We made a good offer, but right now I’m focused on May 6, which is something is already finalized," Canelo told ESPN Deportes.