Cejudo: “I Can’t Pass Up” Second Chance At Beating Johnson
In MMA, it’s hard for a fighter to get a chance to avenge a shot to avenge his first pro loss, but when Henry Cejudo faces off against Demetrious Johnson at UFC 227, Cejudo will have just that.
Cejudo previously lost to Johnson in the main event of UFC 197 with the UFC flyweight title on the line. Now on a two-fight win streak, Cejudo is back in the title picture and talked to MMAJunkie regarding his upcoming title rematch against Johnson.
“There’s not too many times in life do you get a chance at redemption. It’s a second opportunity that I’m able to have. I can’t pass it up,” Cejudo said.
The loss to Johnson ended the 31-year-old Olympic Gold medalist’s perfect MMA record and was the start of Cejudo’s first losing streak. Cejudo lost his second career fight against Joseph Benavidez in late 2016. Cejudo adds that if there was one fighter that he would sacrifice his body to get a win, it would be against Johnson, who holds the record for most consecutive UFC title defenses at 11.
“If I’m going to put my body through hell, if I’m going to hurt, I would rather do it on Demetrious Johnson,” Cejudo said. “If I’m going to sacrifice my time, my body and everything, it’s on him. It’s been over two years since I fought him, and if I can’t get him now, when am I going to get him?”
“This is why I’ve been so adamant about, ‘Give me Demetrious now.’ I’ve been spending months at a time in Brazil, in Europe, in Asia. It’s only helped me. The sacrifices have been done, and now it’s just time to display my heart in this sport.”
The Johnson vs. Cejudo rematch is scheduled to be the co-main event of UFC 227, which takes place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on August 4.
Original Story: MMAJunkie