Cerrone Still Hopes to Fight McGregor
Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone makes his return to the UFC’s lightweight division on Jan. 19 at UFC Brooklyn, and he has a big fight target on his mind.
Cerrone, who faces Alex Hernandez in the headline prelim bout of the UFC event at the Barclays Center, was rumored to be linked to a future matchup with the former lightweight champion and fellow fan-favorite Conor McGregor.
That fight has seemed to be out of fruition (UFC President Dana White has previously stated he was looking at a rematch between McGregor and Dustin Poirier), but Cerrone, the winningest fighter in UFC history, claims that he and his team are pressing to make the fight between him and the Irish former two-division champion happen at some point in 2019.
“We’re working for it, for sure,” Cerrone said. “Hopefully the next fight. Conor’s his own beast. He gets to dictate the spot what he wants, so it’s whether me and the UFC agree, it’s all kind of on him. He did a good job of cementing himself, so it’s all on him.”
Of course, McGregor still has to go through a hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission this month — following the UFC 229 aftermath — to see if such a fight can happen this year.
Cerrone further stated the move down back to lightweight has to do with a desire to capture the title he once challenged for. At the end of 2015, Cerrone unsuccessfully challenged then-champion Rafael dos Anjos for the strap.
“Saturday, get in there and do my thing and I think I’ll take a top-five out and hopefully I’ll get the title,” Cerrone said. “I think I’m two away. I left and I was No. 2 [in the UFC rankings]. I lost to dos Anjos then I went to . I was ranked No. 2. Now I don’t have a number next to my name. But now I’m back, let’s do this fight. I think I’ll be ranked, but then I’ll get a top-five guy.”
Original Story: MMA Junkie