Cerrone Wants Ferguson Rematch, Talks Conor Negotiations
Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone is well-known for his fight anyone, anytime attitude, but apparently, there’s now one fight he does desire — another showdown with Tony Ferguson.
The two squared off at UFC 238 last month, with Ferguson claiming the win at the end of the second round. The first round was fairly even, but Ferguson seemed to outstrike “Cowboy” in the second. Ferguson hit Cerrone with a punch after the horn, and while it staggered Cerrone a little, the fight’s end came when one of Cerrone’s eyes closed up after he blew his broken nose, forcing the doctor to intervene. It brought a disappointing end to a fight many people wanted to see that night.
In a recent interview, Cerrone says he’s fully recovered and ready to run the fight back.
“Tony Ferguson rematch, I’m begging for it,” Cerrone said. “August, hopefully no later than September. I can’t fight any later than September, because now I’m running into not being able to get two more at the end of the year.”
After ending a 2017-18 losing skid with a win over Mike Perry, Cerrone dropped back down to lightweight, scoring a win over Alexander Hernandez at UFC Brooklyn and defeating Al Iaquinta in the main event of UFC Ottawa.
Cerrone was also rumored to be linked to a potential fight with Conor McGregor, but negotiations reportedly faltered after the UFC requested the fight be a co-main event and turned down McGregor’s counter for equity to do so.
Cerrone claims that it isn’t the first time McGregor has turned down a fight with him.
“When Diaz fought McGregor, I just fought, and I was flying on that Sunday, and they called me and were like, ‘Hey, do you want the McGregor fight?’ So he turned me down back then, turned me down three or four other times now. It’s crazy to me.”
Original Story: MMAJunkie