Chavez Jr. Lawyer Explains Pull Out
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr was set to be on the card this Saturday night at Staples Center, but was pulled on Monday due to concerns from his camp and his father, the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez Sr.
Speaking with ESPN Deportes, Chavez Jr’s lawyer, Guadalupe Valencia explained Chavez Jr’s return against Alfredo Angulo was cancelled due to fear that the boxer wasn’t ready, and a loss would hamper any momentum for the second-generation fighter.
Valencia explained an eye exam was at the root of the issue. “Last week he went with the ophthalmologist to get the exams, after that the dad and Julio talked and (Chavez Sr.) thought that he was not 100 percent for the fight.”
“The reality is that Julio looks good, but the dad did not like that he did not have enough boxing in the camp, he wants to see him with more boxing … Imagine, if he came back against Angulo and it did not look good, it would be worse. The whole team decided to postpone his return to January or February, we all have seen a lot of progress in him, but the dad knows the most about boxing, he told the team and this decision was made, said the lawyer.”
Valencia also explained that a training injury occurred when Chavez Jr’s left hand was re-injured in sparring but was not the root cause of the pull out.
In regards to a return, Valencia told ESPN Deportes that: “We think it will be January or February, we do not want to get ahead in that aspect, Julio does not lack much, he was training, he brings good condition, In the peso it was going to cost a little but it was not so far away, Al (Haymon), the father and I are going to see what is coming for him.”
Initial Report: ESPN Deportes