Chavez Jr. Waiting to Receive Canelo Contract

Talks of a Mexican super-fight between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Canelo Alvarez heated up unexpectedly the past few months, and the fight appears to be a strong candidate for Canelo’s May 6 fight. Chavez says that the two sides have agreed on the weight, and he is just waiting for a contract to sign.

Chavez, the son of one of the most beloved Mexican fighters of all time, has not recently fought lower than 168 lbs. Canelo has been fighting at 154 lbs. and has been apparently "working his way up" to a fight with Gennady Golovkin at 160 lbs. However, Golden Boy Promotions appears willing to have Canelo jump all the way up to the mid-160s to take on Chavez in a big money fight.

Chavez says that Golden Boy has asked for the fight to be held at a catchweight of 164.5, which he has agreed to. He also believes Canelo’s team has sent him a lowball offer in terms of payout, but he has agreed to their terms and says he is waiting to receive a contract.

"I do not have the contract yet, but it seems that already everything was accepted, everything they wanted, we dropped [the weight] from 165 to 164.5 pounds," Chavez told ESPN Nation. "The guarantee for me [on the revenue end]… I don’t even think that it reaches 20-30 percent. I wanted to fight him. A lot of people told me not to fight because just like he did with [Gennady] Golovkin – they abuse the negotiations. I do not know if Oscar de la Hoya or Canelo is ready, but I’m ready. I’m going to prepare like never before."

"All they have to do is send me the contract that they told me about and I’ll sign it. I’m willing to sign it. I don’t have the contract and I am the one who takes care of signing it. I need to train hard and be one hundred percent for the fight, that’s what I need… to have a good strategy and to train 100 percent, to be ready. To Canelo, I want him to prepare well and hopefully he accepts the fight. The fight has to be done for the public and for the sake of Mexican boxing."

Canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya took to Twitter to claim that Chavez’s manager already has the contract and pressuring him to sign up for May 6. 

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More