This Saturday, July 25, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua will compete in a trilogy bout. Although Rua is 2-0 against Nogueira, the two have engaged in epic fights. No matter the outcome of the bout, Nogueira will be retiring, ending a career that began in 2001.
In preparation for his final bout, the UFC has shared a list of some of “Lil Nog’s” (23-9) top finishes. Nogueira has competed for PRIDE, Affliction, and the UFC, debuting with the promotion in 2009. He is currently 2-2 in his last four fights.
The list includes:
- His UFC debut against Luiz Cane at UFC 106. After chasing him around the octagon, Nogueira stunned him right away with a hook and continued to land punishing shots.
- Making himself known in the PRIDE middleweight division with an armbar-win over Dan Henderson in the opening round of the 2005 PRIDE Middleweight Grand Prix. This was before “Shogun” beat him in the quarterfinals.
- Nogueira’s last win was in 2018 against Sam Alvey. After fighting close, Nogueira would attack and land a hook that knocked Alvey down in the second.
- Facing Tito Ortiz in 2011. At UFC 140, he landed 54 significant strikes, beating Ortiz via TKO following elbows and body shots.
- Another first-round win, this time over Patrick Cummins in 2016. Avenging the second loss to Rua, Nogueira faced Cummins at UFC 198 and would land vicious shots to the face. Dragging him against the cage, Cummins showed no signs of recovering.