Coker Talks Bellator’s Future & Ratings

While Bellator’s ratings have taken a dip in 2018, Bellator President Scott Coker is looking towards an upcoming momentum shift for his organization.

“Give us another 18 months – not 18 months, maybe another year,” Coker told MMAjunkie prior to this past Saturday’s Bellator 199.

Coker, who took over the company in 2014, has made some major signings of young fighters and former major UFC names in an attempt to grow the brand. Coker believes that they will be the key to break a ratings slump.

Five of Bellator’s events in 2018 have not had an average audience over 500,000 viewers, with one event reaching over the one million mark so far.

“Ratings are tricky, because you’re going to go through peaks and valleys,” Coker said. “The Fedor fight obviously did amazing; the (Quinton) ‘Rampage’ (Jackson vs. Chael Sonnen) fight did amazing. But it’s no different than pro wrestling was for the last 15 years. It’s going to go (up and down). This is the type of business that has that type of fluctuation. We’re not going to be immune to that. We’re just going to be part of that process.

“When you talk about combat sports in the middle of NBA Finals and hockey and all this sports clutter, we’re doing well.”

With Fedor and Chael Sonnen facing off in the semi-finals of the Heavyweight Grand Prix, the Bellator President expects to see anotther boost in the ratings, and hopefully stability and growth for the ratings and talent as he looks towards 2019.

 

Interview Via: MMA Junkie

You might also like