Colby Blames Everyone But Self For UFC 244 Issue
Last week it was a foregone conclusion that Colby Covington and Kamaru Usman were going to main event UFC 244 inside Madison Square Garden on November 2nd.
Now, neither man is booked for the card, and have been replaced by the Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz battling for the newly christened “Baddest Mother F***er title.
“What happened exactly was the UFC came to me and offered me a basic challenger’s rate,” Covington explained to MMA Fighting on Monday. “I said no, I’m not challenging. I’m champion. I’ve never lost, I just defended my title. I brought in the Trumps. I got a tweet from [Donald] Trump, that’s like $3.5 million in marketing. If you break down the analytics of it, in itself, just to promote their show.
“I’ve put my life on the line for this company. Went to Brazil, said outlandish things where people literally wanted to kill me and I had gangs in favelas coming after me and they still want to come at me with this basic challenger, entry fee type money? I’m standing up for what’s right.”
Covington, who had one of the lowest-rated and lowest drawing main events of the ESPN era earlier this year in Newark, claims the UFC refused to negotiate with him for a rate he felt is befitting of a fighter at his level.
“They didn’t give me a negotiation. They said ‘take this or we’ll just move onto someone else’. That’s not negotiating. That’s bad business and if that’s how they want to do business, that’s their problem. That’s not my problem,” Covington said.
“They came with those hostage negotiations. They come and say ‘take this offer or we’ll just move onto the next person’. That’s not how negotiating works. I read ‘Art of the Deal’ from Donald Trump. I know how to work a deal and how deals work. They’re not going to take advantage of me and try to put me in a hostage position where they don’t give me any say or any room to negotiate. That’s not fair and it’s not right.”
When prodded, Covington confirmed that the money offered him to fight Usman was less than what he made to fight Robbie Lawler at the aforementioned UFC Newark card in August.
“That is accurate. It’s crazy, it’s corrupt and it’s not right,” Covington revealed. “The fighters need to learn a piece of advice from me and learn from my situation that you’ve got to stand up for what you believe in and what you earn more importantly. The company’s killing it. 30 percent growth last quarter, making billions, the ESPN deal, sponsor revenue, they’re absolutely killing it and they’re going to go public soon and they don’t want to pay the fighters. I’m one of one.”
“No one has done what I’ve done. No one has broke the record for most strikes thrown in a fight. No one went to the White House. No one’s hung out with the Trumps in Trump Tower. I’ve done things that no one has ever done before and look how the UFC treats me. How do you think they’re going to treat other guys who haven’t even done half of what I’ve done?”
In the midst of bloviating of his own accomplishments, the former interim welterweight champion made sure to throw Usman under the bus, claiming the current champion refused an agreement to fight him.
“I know how the events went down and when I come out, I bring truth and facts,” Covington said. “I don’t care what any MMA journalist says, every time I talk, I always come out with the truth and facts. Truth is a force of nature just like the President says. What happened was I verbally agreed to fight Usman in New York, they didn’t tell me any numbers. They just told me this is the fight to make. This is the fight we’re going to make, are you guys on board? I said absolutely but they couldn’t get Usman to agree.
“Then they start talking numbers and they’re giving me basic challenger numbers but they need to realize they’re not going to get the ‘A’ side done before they get the ‘B’ side done. I’m the ‘A’ side so let’s get these numbers right but the whole time, Usman hadn’t even accepted the fight. He’s turning it down. He didn’t want to fight anybody.”
“They went from me to Jorge [Masvidal] to someone else and he turned all of them down,” Covington said of Usman refusing a deal to fight either member of American Top Team. “The issue is not me. I want to fight, I’m ready to fight. I’m healthy to fight,” Covington said. “It does bother me that they’ll go to a jobber and a journeyman like Jorge Masvidal and he’s so desperate and he’s so broke right now that he’s going to take any offer the UFC throws at him. He’ll take this basic challenger fee because let’s be honest, he’s 2-2 in his last four fights, he’s 5-5 in his last 10, so he’s going to take anything the UFC gives him.”
“The UFC used Jorge Masvidal as a pawn and we all know I’m playing chess not checkers. They want to use Jorge as a little pawn to fight for the JMF — the journeyman mother-effing title against another scrub and jobber in Nate Diaz, who has a 50/50 record, 1-1 in the last three years, he’s a Stockton soy boy. They just used those guys as pawns against me and Usman.”
In regards to Covington’s assertion that both Diaz and Masvidal are “jobbers” and in a sense don’t deserve to headline Madison Square Garden, both fighters dwarf Covington’s popularity on social media, Masvidal has been one of the sport’s most talked-about fighters since UFC 239, and Diaz has headlined two of the highest-grossing cards in the 25-year history of the UFC on Pay-Per=View.
“I hope so. I don’t know. I feel like we were very close and negotiations were very close to being signed but they didn’t want to meet in the middle. They didn’t want to be fair and bring a reasonable price to me,” Covington said of where a title fight between him and Usman stand.
“I’m not asking for anything unfair. I’m just asking for something reasonable for the work I put in. I’m not asking for anything unreasonable. I’m just asking for what I’ve earned and what I deserve.”
Initial Report: MMA Fighting