Conor McGregor Could Get Immediate UFC Lightweight Title Shot Upon Return

Once Conor McGregor returns to the octagon, he could get an immediate shot at the lightweight title.

At least that’s what former lightweight champion Charles Oliveira says.

“I like the narrative. It would be perfect. We’ve been asking for this fight in Brazil so hopefully, it works out,” Oliveira told ESPN.

Oliveira will meet rising contender Islam Makhachev at UFC 280 for a second chance at capturing the title. He lost the belt after missing weight against his second title defense against Justin Gaethje; he won by submission.

As for McGregor, he’s been absent from the cage ever since losing to Dustin Poirier a second time in July 2021. He broke his leg in the defeat.

Despite the injury, the former double champion has been no stranger to social media. He’s shown photos of him bulking weight and was recently in the headlines because he will make his acting debut in the remake of “Road House,” where he will be alongside actor Jake Gyllenhall.

UFC President Dana White previously projected McGregor to return in either late summer or early fall, but that has been pushed back to sometime later in 2023.

McGregor could reportedly return at UFC 283, which would happen in Rio de Janeiro on January 21.

“I’d advise [McGregor] to take very good care of what words he uses [in Brazil], especially when referring to me,” Oliveira said.

After Oliveira’s win over Gaethje, Oliveira called out:

“Hey, Conor McGregor. Are you coming up? Or are you going to run away?”

McGregor quickly responded:

“I’d love to fight the Brazilian, 100%!” he said.

“I love Brazil and I’m unbeaten against Brazil. All KO’s. I’ve some thinking to do.”

Oliveira will fight Makhachev on October 22.

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More