Conor McGregor On Khabib’s Retirement: ‘You Can’t Just Scurry Away’
Conor McGregor says he wasn’t surprised to see Khabib Nurmagomedov walk away from MMA competition.
There is still some confusion over what the future holds for Nurmagomedov. “The Eagle” announced his retirement after defeating Justin Gaethje via second-round submission. Nurmagomedov cited his mother’s wishes as his reasoning. Despite this, Nurmagomedov remains the UFC Lightweight Champion and hasn’t left the USADA testing pool.
During an interview with The Mac Life, McGregor said that disappearing has been Nurmagomedov’s specialty (h/t BJPenn.com).
“How you could walk away at this stage is baffling to me but to each to their own. There’s so many amazing fights out there. Even the carry-on around the Tony [Ferguson] situation, like I don’t care about nothing. You’re scheduled to fight a man. No matter what. Fights must take place. You can’t just scurry away from bouts.
“It’s been the hallmark of his approach. I was not surprised to see him walk away or scurry away, I should say. It is what it is. We carry on.”
McGregor and Nurmagomedov are bitter rivals. Things got ugly between them long before their October 2018 clash. McGregor and his entourage attacked a bus holding UFC 223 red corner fighters including Nurmagomedov. This was in response to “The Eagle” and his team confronting Artem Lobov in a hotel lobby earlier that week.
The two ultimately clashed in the main event of UFC 229. Nurmagomedov successfully defended the lightweight gold, submitting McGregor in the fourth round. After the fight, a brawl ensued between both sides.
McGregor will return to action on January 23. He’ll share the Octagon with Dustin Poirier in a rematch. The bout will headline UFC 257 on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi.