Despite efforts to block the fight, Manny Pacquiao will face Errol Spence Jr. as planned later this month.
Earlier this week, a judge denied a preliminary injunction made by Audie Attar and Paradigm Sports Management – which currently manages MMA star Conor McGregor – that would’ve halted the title fight from taking place on August 21 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The company used to manage Pacquiao, but he alleged a breach of conduct, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud. The Filipino boxer then shifted from Paradigm to sign for the fight with Spence.
In response, Paradigm sought out a preliminary injunction on Pacquiao to delay the fight.
Paradigm claimed that Pacquiao’s team brokered the fight with PBC and Spence without Attar’s inclusion, despite holding exclusive rights to negotiate the boxer’s next two fights, reports obtained by ESPN.
Dale Kinsella, Pacquiao’s lawyer responded to the ruling.
“As Senator Pacquiao correctly said after this lawsuit was filed in June, he has an absolute right to participate in the August 21 bout with Errol Spence,” Kinsella stated. “Today the Court agreed and resoundingly rejected Paradigm’s injunction publicity stunt in a strong and detailed decision. Senator Pacquiao looks forward to his bout with Mr. Spence on August 21.”
The bout between Pacquiao and McGregor was being planned for this summer before the Irish fighter was knocked out by Dustin Poirier in January.
“Paradigm Sports’ lawsuit against me has no merit,” Pacquiao (62-7-2, 39 KOs) said in a statement in late June. “I have an absolute right under the agreement with Paradigm to engage in the upcoming bout with Errol Spence. If this frivolous lawsuit continues, I will be proven correct in court.”
Pacquiao, who is also a Philippine senator, hasn’t competed since a decision victory over Keith Thurman in July 2019, his second fight with PBC.
FIGHT SPORTS™ continues its run of acquiring rights , and this time secured the upcoming return of Pacquiao taking on the undefeated Spence Jr. for the World Welterweight Championship.