Cotto to Face Kamegai in WBO Title Fight
Miguel Cotto will look to become a world champion yet again this summer. The four-division champion from Puerto Rico will face Yoshihiro Kamegai for the vacant WBO light-middleweight title on August 26 at the Stubhub Center in Carson, California.
The WBO 154 lb. belt was vacated by Canelo Alvarez prior to the Mexican star’s fight with Julio Cesar Chavez earlier this month. Now that Canelo is permanently moving up to the true middleweight limit of 160 lbs., there is room for a new middleweight champion at 154 and Cotto hopes to claim that spot.
Read the full press release below from Golden Boy Promotions, who promotes Kamegai:
LOS ANGELES (May 24, 2017): Miguel Cotto (40-5, 33 KOs), the only four-division world champion in the rich boxing history of Puerto Rico, will return to the ring on Saturday, August 26 to take on the always-exciting Yoshihiro "El Maestrito" Kamegai (27-3-2, 24 KOs) in a 12-round match for the vacant WBO Junior Middleweight World Championship from the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif. Cotto will attempt to secure a sixth world championship in four weight classes as he makes his 23rd appearance on HBO.
Cotto, a surefire, first-ballot Hall-of-Famer, has held world titles in the super lightweight, welterweight, junior middleweight and middleweight divisions and has fought and defeated a who’s who of elite fighters over the last 15 years including Kelson Pinto, Demarcus "Chop Chop" Corley, Ricardo "Mochuelo" Torres, Paulie "Magic Man" Malignaggi, Zab "Super" Judah, Sugar Shane Mosley, Antonio "El Tornado de Tijuana" Margarito, Ricardo "El Matador" Mayorga and Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez.
"I’m very excited to be back and showcase a high level fight for the fans," Cotto said. "Kamegai is a great, tough fighter, but I will be ready for him and to capture the world title. I can’t wait to start training for this fight and get back in the ring on August 26."
Kamegai is known as one of the highest-action fighters in the sport having engaged in a fight of the year candidate against Jesus "Renuente" Soto Karass in 2016 and taking champions and contenders including Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero, Alfonso Gomez and Johan "El Terrible" Perez into deep water.
"I fully understand who I am going to be in the ring against, but Cotto’s record and history won’t matter once we are toe-to-toe," Kamegai said. "I am looking forward to giving fans the kind of aggressive fight that they have seen from me before and having my arm raised in victory."
"Miguel Cotto is a legend who is still fighting for title belts more than a dozen years after first being crowned a world champion. It’s remarkable," said Oscar De La Hoya, Chairman and CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "But I’ve seen Kamegai in action many times, and the guy doesn’t ever take a step back. Miguel will have his hands full on August 26."
"August 26 will mark the return of Miguel Cotto pursuing his sixth world title," said Hector Soto, Vice President of Miguel Cotto Promotions. "Cotto vs. Kamegai will be another epic battle that promises fireworks in the ring between Puerto Rico and Japan. Miguel Cotto is back on the big stage of boxing, fighting in Los Angeles on HBO. Nobody can miss it."