Dana Ignores Masvidal’s Ultimatums, Covington Gets Title Shot

Jorge Masvidal’s demand for either a welterweight title shot or fight with Conor McGregor appears to have been shut down by UFC President Dana White.

White confirmed to reporters, at a scrum following the Aug. 6 edition of Dana White’s Contender Series, that Colby Covington will be next in line for a shot at the UFC welterweight title.

The controversial Covington earned the shot by virtue of a dominant decision win against former champ Robbie Lawler in the main event of UFC Newark last weekend.

“You can say whatever you want about Covington, you don’t like him, you don’t this, that, or whatever — he put on a clinic against Lawler, who is a beast,” White said. “Lawler’s been in all the big fights, former world champion, hits like a truck and Colby completely shut him down. His cardio was impressive and the way that he beat Lawler was even more impressive.”

After sitting out for all of 2018, Masvidal returned to the Octagon this year with two big knockouts. The first came against Darren Till in March, while the other came against Ben Askren at UFC 239, which handed Askren his first loss and set the record for the fastest knockout in UFC history.

Masvidal demanded a title shot or fight with McGregor for his next bout. White previously said he would not book Masvidal vs. McGregor because Masvidal is “too big” for McGregor.

Now, White says he’ll still offer Masvidal another opponent, but he will not bow to the pressure from Masvidal and his team.

“You can’t make ultimatums,” White said. “Listen, we’re going to offer him a fight, and if he accepts the fight, he does and if he doesn’t, he doesn’t.”

Covington won the interim welterweight championship at UFC 225, but he was stripped of that belt after being unable to unify with then-champion Tyron Woodley due to injuries. He had been sitting out in the hopes of securing a title shot before taking the bout with Lawler.

The already-heated Usman-Covington title fight is speculated to main event UFC 244 at New York’s Madison Square Garden this November, but that has not been confirmed by the UFC.

Original Story: MMAFighting

You might also like
By using our site you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. X