David Benavidez: When I Had The Title Canelo Alvarez Never Mentioned Me
David Benavidez has a lot to say after Canelo Alvarez won the title he was stripped of.
On December 19, Canelo battled Callum Smith for the WBA (Super), WBC, and The Ring Super-Middleweight Titles. Benavidez previously held the WBC gold but the title was vacated after he failed to make weight for his planned defense against Roamer Alexis Angulo.
Fight Hub TV caught up with Benavidez, who made it clear that he doesn’t believe Canelo wants to risk fighting him anytime soon (h/t Bad Left Hook).
“The thing I have to say about that is when I had the title, you know, Canelo never mentioned me, there was never even talks about me fighting with Canelo. But everybody in super middleweight, all the champions at super middleweight they got the call, they got some form of communication from him. I never got nothing, at all.
“There’s a reason I wasn’t mentioned in that. It’s because I’m a big threat, and everybody knows that. But it is what it is. Like I said, I’m gonna come back either way, it does not matter. I just turned 24 years old, if they don’t get me know they’re making a big mistake if they get me in the future because I’m feeling extremely strong now. I feel like I’m coming into my prime years — not prime years yet, but getting closer.”
Canelo has said he wants to unify all the major gold at 168 pounds. Standing in his way at the moment are Caleb Plant, the IBF titleholder, and Billy Joe Saunders, the WBO Champion.
Benavidez hasn’t competed since that August 15 bout against Angulo. Benavidez won the fight when Angulo was unable to make it to the 11th round.