Deontay Wilder Speaks For The First Time Since Knockout Loss Vs. Tyson Fury
Deontay Wilder doesn’t plan on stepping away from boxing, he’s just waiting for his broken hand to heal.
Last Wednesday, Wilder sat down with his fiancé, Telli Swift, and gave an update for the first time since his trilogy loss to WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.
“Once this is over, I’ll resume training for sure,” Wilder said on the Telli Talks podcast.
Wilder (42-2-1, 41 KOs) lost to Fury in their third and final fight via 11th round knockout. Despite Wilder unable to overcome the British heavyweight, fans commended Wilder on forcing himself to go the distance though he was visibly fatigued and beaten up.
While fans now have no doubt that Fury is one of the greatest active boxers today, that leaves Wilder in limbo, but he said he meditates often to help wash out the negativity.
“They’ll love you or hate you,” Wilder said. “There’s going to be many people that love you, there’s going to be many people that hate you.”
Wilder’s two career losses and one draw were handed by Fury. Otherwise, he has knocked out nearly all his opponents. He previously held the WBC heavyweight title from 2015 to 2020 with 10 successful title defenses.
Wilder added in the podcast that he still has goals in boxing.
“I do still have goals in this sport that’s why I still have love for it,” Wilder said.
The 34-year-old is ranked as the world’s third-best active heavyweight by ESPN, fourth by The Ring and fifth by BoxRec and the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board.
His trainer, Malik Scott, previously said Wilder is targeting a return in April or May.