Devin Haney Says Jojo Diaz ‘Wasn’t In A Rush To Fight’
WBC lightweight champion Devin Haney has claimed that every fighter in the division avoids taking him on.
Haney said that includes Joseph “Jojo” Diaz too, who he thinks was on the fence about accepting the bout until now.
“At the end of the day, I don’t feel like there’s any doubt with these guys. None of them are in a rush to fight me,” Haney said on Friday at a press conference in Las Vegas.
“Jojo Diaz wasn’t in a rush to fight me. I feel like we had to corner him to get him to take this fight. All the other guys, the same thing,” the champ said.
Diaz is set to take on Haney on December 4 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The title will be live on DAZN.
Eddie Hearn and co have been in talks with Diaz for a while now. He agreed to the terms only a few days ago.
Haney, 22, has held the WBC title since 2019. He has been undefeated in his career so far and looks like real trouble for other lightweights.
“They know my skillset, how much I bring to the table,” Haney continued. “If Jojo didn’t face me, the world would have known what it really was. Come December 4, they’re going to see.”