Devin Haney vs. Sandor Martin Purse Bids Set For June 18

The purse bids for Devin Haney vs. Sandor Martin will take place on July 18. 

Haney, the current WBC Junior Welterweight Champion, had been ordered to face Martin shortly after his loss to Ryan Garcia on April 20. Garcia missed weight by 3.2 pounds over the 140-pound limit, meaning he was not eligible to fight for the belt. The defeat meant Haney still retained his WBC belt. 

Since the defeat, Garcia has tested positive for Ostarine. If Ryan cannot prove his innocence, Haney’s undefeated record could be reinstated. A fight with Martin will be difficult to sell. Haney’s stock has fallen. He is seen as a champion who still lost in his last fight. His style, which is based on boxing fundamentals, does not resonate with the casuals unless he has a big dance partner like Garcia. 

Martin could be offered step-aside money, allowing Haney to pursue a unification. Fights with Teofimo Lopez (WBO belt), Isaac Cruz (WBA belt) and Subriel Matias (IBF belt) could be possible. Another option is to vacate and move up to 147. Either way, Martin has already said that he wants his title shot. 

“This is the first step for an opportunity that I have been waiting for all my life. I know that I am not going to fail, I know that I am going to be a world champion and I only hope that everything continues on its course to see my dream come true,” Martin said

Reaction

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More