Devin Haney’s Father And Head Coach Won’t Be There For George Kambosos Jr Fight

Devin Haney’s father, Bill, will be missing – what could be – his son’s biggest fight.

His father has been prevented from traveling to Australia ahead of undisputed lightweight title fight against George Kambosos Jr on June 4. Bill has been prohibited due to a felony drugs conviction from 1992, he revealed.

“They said my visa hasn’t been approved. It hasn’t been denied, but at this point in time, I wasn’t allowed to go through customs,” Bill told Trill Boxing Talk.

“…I made some mistakes and did things at 22, 23 years old, which Devin is now, that hopefully he never makes the mistakes.”

His father added that they’re working on getting support from the Australian government. He said he hopes the issue will get sorted out in the next couple of weeks so he’s able to go.

Haney (27-0, 15 KOs) claimed the WBC lightweight title in 2019. He has successfully defended since then – most recently over Joseph Diaz by unanimous decision.

Haney became first in line for the undisputed title shot after frontrunner Vasiliy Lomachenko announced he was going to remain in Ukraine and continue defending his country from Russia’s ongoing attacks.

Kambosos gained the WBA, IBF and WBO titles after a huge upset split decision win over Teofimo Lopez in November. Despite being delayed multiple times, the fight ended up being labeled as “Upset of the Year” by many boxing fans and critics.

“But I do want the world to know that as a dad I’ve prepared Devin for this moment,” Bill added.

“We weren’t gonna let anything get in the way of this moment, of Devin showing up, showing out and doing what he does best.”

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More